Adam K. Richards represents clients on complex litigation, intellectual property, and antitrust matters.
Mr. Richards represents clients in filing and defending lawsuits and appeals in federal and state courts. He has experience in the areas of intellectual property, class actions, business disputes, antitrust, trade secrets, false advertising, civil RICO, and shareholder derivative suits.
After graduating from Stanford Law School, Mr. Richards served as a law clerk first in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California and then on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. He is admitted to practice in Utah and California and before the Tenth Circuit.
Mr. Richards helps clients protect and enforce their rights in their technology, brands, and creative works. He represents clients in filing and prosecuting patent and trademark applications and in seeking copyright registrations. He also represents clients in filing and defending lawsuits involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets, in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board, and in inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial & Appeal Board.
Mr. Richards graduated from Stanford University with a degree in electrical engineering and is a registered patent attorney admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. Richards counsels and assists clients with antitrust compliance, claim evaluation, and litigation. He has experience with issues and claims arising under Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act and under the Robinson-Patman Act.
During law school, he was an extern at the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice in San Francisco, California where he assisted on civil and criminal matters.
Mr. Richards has been selected for inclusion in Mountain States Super Lawyers as a Rising Star (2017-2018) in the category of Business Litigation.
Stanford Law School, J.D., 2010
- Stanford Kirkwood Moot Court Competition, Quarterfinalist
- Gerald Gunther Class Prizes for Outstanding Performance in Corporate Finance I and in Foundations of Statistical Inference
- Stanford Journal of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, Member-Editor
Stanford University, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2007
Prior Professional Experience
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Harris L Hartz of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, August 2011 – August 2012
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Lucy H. Koh of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, September 2010 – May 2011
Admitted to Practice
- Registered Patent Attorney, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah, May 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, February 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, September 2014
- State Bar of Utah, 2013
- State Bar of California, 2010
Affiliations / Memberships
- Utah Minority Bar Association
- Utah State Bar, Intellectual Property Section, CLE Planning Committee Member
- Utah State Bar, Antitrust & Unfair Competition Section, Vice President (2017–2018) and Treasurer (2016–2017)
- Utah State Bar, Appellate Section
Professional and Civic Activities
- Tenth Circuit Historical Society, Utah Vice President
Publications / Presentations
- Co-Presenter, “Antitrust Compliance Programs: How to Help Your Client Avoid Antitrust Problems,” 2017 Utah State Bar Summer Convention