Mr. McConkie is a shareholder whose practice focuses on family law and divorce. Mr. McConkie’s experience and education led him to family law and influences his approach to solving problems and working through issues. Specifically, he studied psychology at the University of Utah and continued his study of human behavior at the University of Hartford in Connecticut where he received his M.S. in Organizational Behavior. While studying organizational behavior, Mr. McConkie focused his studies on how people get in (and out) of conflict. He then obtained his law degree at Hamline University where he spent time studying how methods of alternative dispute resolution can be used effectively in legal disputes.
Mr. McConkie frequently tries cases and goes to court. He is a skilled negotiator, litigator, and trial advocate, and he helps clients make educated and wise decisions as they determine whether it is in their best interest to go to trial. Mr. McConkie understands the unique dynamics of conflict in family disputes, and is prepared and willing when necessary to take cases to trial. His judgment and ability to evaluate options gives clients sound advice.
Mr. McConkie is also committed to the development and improvement of family law and in 2010 co-founded the Utah Journal of Family Law. Quickly, the Journal has become an essential tool for Utah practitioners and it is circulated to all members of the Utah State Bar’s Family Law Section. A copy is also given as a courtesy to every judge and commissioner statewide. Mr. McConkie currently serves as an Editor-in-Chief of the Journal.
Mr. McConkie has been selected for inclusion in Mountain States Super Lawyers (2008-2015) in the category of Family Law and has been voted by his peers throughout the state as one of Utah’s “Legal Elite,” as published in Utah Business Magazine (2014-2017). In 2015, Mr. McConkie was appointed by the Utah Supreme Court to serve on the Utah State Bar Ethics and Discipline Committee.
Hamline University, J.D. (2004)
- Editor in Chief, Hamline University Journal of Public Law and Policy (2003-2004)
- Larry Bakken Leadership Award, Hamline University (2004)
University of Hartford, M.S., Organizational Behavior (2001)
University of Utah, B.S., Psychology (1998)
Prior Professional Experience
- Strong & Hanni (2006-2012)
- Law Office of Bryant J. McConkie (2005-2006)
Admitted to Practice
- Utah State Bar
- U.S. District Court, District of Utah
Affiliations / Memberships
- Member, Utah State Bar, Ethics and Discipline Committee (2015-present)
- Member, Association of Collaborative Professionals
Professional and Civic Activities
- Pro Bono Honor Roll, August 2015
- Former Chair, Dispute Resolution Section of the Utah State Bar
- Former Chair, Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Co-Founder, Utah Journal of Family Law
- Former Co-Editor in Chief, Utah Journal of Family Law
- Board of Directors, Playworks (2012-present)
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law and Managing Organizational Conflict, David Eccles School of Business, University of Utah (2004-present)