Mr. Benson’s practice focuses primarily on white collar criminal defense and civil litigation.
A former federal prosecutor, Mr. Benson handles nearly every type of federal criminal case and investigation including government procurement fraud, corruption, environmental crimes, immigration worksite enforcement actions, computer fraud, mail and wire fraud, theft of trade secrets, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, securities fraud, health care fraud, import and export violations, money laundering, stock market manipulation, Ponzi schemes and various other charges. Along with defending companies and individuals in white collar criminal investigations, Mr. Benson represents clients facing government regulatory investigations and enforcement actions by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Department of Justice (DOJ) Civil Division, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Utah Division of Securities, Utah Division of Consumer Protection and others.
Additionally, Mr. Benson concentrates his practice on complex civil litigation. He has represented corporations and individuals in a wide range of civil matters, including breach of contract claims, partnership disputes, securities fraud and federal qui tam actions under the False Claims Act.
He also assists companies, large and small, to develop corporate programs which implement policies and procedures compliant with relevant state and federal law. His practice includes acting as independent counsel and liaison with federal authorities during a company’s internal investigation.
Aside from regularly appearing in federal court in Utah, Mr. Benson has handled and appeared in a number of federal cases in a wide variety of federal districts across the country including New York, Texas, California, Nevada, Idaho, Washington, DC and Florida.
Mr. Benson has been selected for inclusion in Mountain States Super Lawyers (2013-2016) in the category of Criminal Defense: White Collar and has been voted by his peers throughout the state as one of Utah’s “Legal Elite,” as published in Utah Business Magazine (2014-2017). He is also a regular guest commentator on The Big Show with Spence Checketts and Gordon Monson (1280 The Zone), providing legal analysis on sports industry related matters.
- California Western School of Law, J.D. 2005
- University of Utah, B.A. 2001
Prior Professional Experience
- Judicial Law Clerk, Honorable Monroe G. McKay, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2005-2006
- Assistant United States Attorney, United States Attorney’s Office,. District of Utah, U.S. Department of Justice, 2006-2011
Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court, District of Utah
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Publications / Presentations
- Reyes’ Office Justified in not Charging Federal Judge in 35-Year Old Case, Op-Ed, Salt Lake Tribune, March 22, 2016
- Author, “In-Law” Column, Deseret News
- Presenter, “The Right Hand Taketh . . . And the Left Hand Taketh Away Too. The Perpendicular Contours of Parallel Proceedings,” Utah State Bar Annual Securities Law Workshop, August 7, 2015
- Panelist, “Turning the Tables on the Government,” National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 5th Annual West Coast White Collar Conference, June 19, 2015
- Presenter, “Is the War on Drugs a Success?” Downtown CLE with the S.J. Quinney College of Law, April 28, 2015
- Presenter, “The Nuts and Bolts of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2014 White Collar Seminar, February 28, 2014
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Trial Advocacy, S.J. Quinney School of Law, University of Utah, 2010-present
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”), Prosecutor of the Year, 2006
- ATF’s Project Safe Neighborhoods Coordinator, District of Utah, 2007-2008
- United States Attorney’s Award for Superior Performance by a Litigative Team, July 2011
- Utah Legal Elite, Up and Coming Lawyers, 2011 and 2012
- “The Right Hand Taketh…and the Left Hand Taketh Away Too: the Perpendicular Contours of Parallel Proceedings,” 2015 Utah Bar Securities Section Annual Workshop, Little America Hotel, Salt Lake City, Utah. August 14, 2015