Liesel B. Stevens is a member of the firm’s Employment and Labor Law Section. Her employment practice focuses on defending employers in litigation matters and advising employers on various state and federal employment laws. She has experience in a wide variety of employment law areas including the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Title VII, and the Family and Medical Leave Act. In addition, she has spoken at seminars and provided training to clients on areas of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Ms. Stevens also represents clients in a broad variety of commercial and business litigation matters, including commercial contract, unfair competition, trade secrets, and other complex commercial claims. She has handled cases in all phases of litigation, including discovery, mediation, arbitration and trial. Ms. Stevens’ clients include companies in Utah and throughout the country.
Ms. Stevens currently serves as the Chair of Ray Quinney & Nebeker’s Associates Committee and is a member of the firm’s Recruiting Committee. She chaired the firm’s Women Lawyers Group for the years 2010-2014. She has been voted by her peers throughout the state as one of Utah’s “Legal Elite,” as published in Utah Business Magazine (2012-2014, 2017).
- Obtained jury verdict in federal court on behalf of defendant employer on ADEA and FMLA claims
- Won petition for certiorari and successfully argued appeal before the Utah Supreme Court, which reinstated the trial court’s order of summary judgment in favor of employer in employment contract case
- Won appeal before the Utah Court of Appeals, which affirmed summary judgment in favor of employer in wrongful termination case
- Won motion to dismiss complaint alleging failure to provide public accommodation under the ADA
- Prevailed on motion for summary judgment of FLSA claims and defeated plaintiffs’ motion for conditional certification of FLSA collective action in Utah federal court
University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Contributing Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform
Michigan State University, B.A.
- cum laude
- Senior Editor, James Madison College Journal of International Relations
Prior Professional Experience
- Cook & Roos, San Francisco, CA, 1996-2000
- Raifman & Edwards, San Francisco, CA, 1994-1996
Admitted to Practice
- Utah State Bar, 2005
- California State Bar, 1994
- Utah Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Utah Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, District of Utah
- United States District Court, Districts of Northern and Central California
Affiliations / Memberships
- Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Park City Bar Association
- Women Lawyers of Utah
Professional and Civic Activities
- Board of Trustees, Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake
Publications / Presentations
- Presenter, “Employee Handbooks: Do’s and Don’ts,” February 2014 Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Legal Clinic
- Presenter, “A Primer on Employment Laws for Small Businesses,” 2013 Salt Lake SHRM Employment Law Seminar
- Presenter, “How the Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease: Understanding Whistleblower Laws,” 2013 Salt Lake SHRM Employment Law Seminar