Mr. Bell practices in the firm’s Intellectual Property and Commercial Litigation sections, and has expertise in litigating trademark, unfair competition, defamation, commercial contract, and other complex commercial claims. Mr. Bell has developed significant experience with defamation and media law issues, and represents a broad array of clients on defamation matters. He has also gained extensive experience litigating trade secret and non-competition disputes in high stakes, bet-the-company cases. Mr. Bell has litigated many successful cases for clients ranging from large corporations to individuals, and uses a problem-solving approach to litigation in order to achieve excellent results as efficiently as possible for his clients.
Mr. Bell has been selected for inclusion in Mountain States Super Lawyers as a Rising Star (2009, 2011-2015) in the category of Intellectual Property Litigation. He maintains an AV Preeminent (4.5) rating with Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating awarded to attorneys for professional competence and ethics and has also been voted by his peers throughout the state as one of Utah’s “Legal Elite,” as published in Utah Business Magazine(2010-2016).
Mr. Bell was lead counsel on two defamation cases that went to trial in 2015, both of which resulted in success for his clients. Other representative cases include successfully defending a client at trial in a case involving multi-million dollar contract and unfair competition claims; winning a successful jury verdict at trial for a client whose property rights had been threatened; and obtaining an injunction against a party who operated a defamatory website disparaging a client.
Mr. Bell maintains a blog relating to defamation law in Utah at: http://utahdefamationlaw.com/
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2003
Brigham Young University, B.S., Sociology, 1999
- cum laude
Prior Professional Experience
- Snow, Christensen & Martineau, 2004-2006
- Judicial Clerkship, Honorable Ted Stewart, U.S. District Court for the District of Utah, 2003-2004
Admitted to Practice
- Utah State and Federal Courts
- Utah Supreme Court
Publications / Presentations
- Business Valuation Resources, IP Management & Valuation: Co-author, article, Indirect Profits From Copyright Infringement: Establishing the Connection, Vol. 1, No. 1, January 2012
- Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics: Co-author, student note: How America’s Increasing Interest in Trial Publicity Impacts Our Legal System, Summer 2002