Mr. Carlile is a commercial litigator with nearly forty years of experience in a broad variety of litigation and transactional matters, including banking, business separations, contract drafting and disputes, construction litigation, bankruptcy and insolvency litigation, eminent domain, land use regulation and property disputes, trust and estate litigation.
Mr. Carlile has extensive trial experience with both jury and bench trials. He also argues appeals in both federal and state courts. Mr. Carlile was lead counsel representing banking interests in large fraudulent mortgage schemes. He also served as lead litigation counsel for the State of Utah as receiver of one of the largest property and casualty insurance company insolvency proceedings in the country.
Alternative Disputes – Mediator/Arbitrator
Mr. Carlile is a trained mediator and conducts mediations through privately scheduled mediations. Mr. Carlile is a certified mediator through Northwestern University School of Professional Studies, Mediation Skills Training Program since 2017. He received his arbitration certification through the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution, Arbitration Training Institute. Mr. Carlile is also a panel member of the Utah Alternative Dispute Resolution Services. He has extensive experience representing clients in mediation and arbitration, in the areas of commercial litigation, trust and estate disputes, land use and zoning matters.
Community and Legal Recognitions
Mr. Carlile oversees the Firm’s Provo Office. He and his wife are deeply involved in community affairs serving in a variety of elected and appointed positions.
Mr. Carlile maintains an AV Preeminent (5.0) rating with Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating awarded to attorneys for professional competence and ethics. He has been included on the list of The Best Lawyers in America© 2021 in Commercial Litigation and has been selected for inclusion in Mountain States Super Lawyers (2012-2020) in the category of Business Litigation. Mr. Carlile has also been voted by his peers throughout the state as one of Utah’s “Legal Elite,” as published in Utah Business Magazine (2005, 2007-09, 2013-15).
Brigham Young University, J.D., 1981
- Chairman of the Moot Court Board
Utah State University, B.A., Accounting, 1978
- Phi Kappa Phi, Beta Alpha Psi
Prior Professional Experience
- Law Clerk to Judge David K. Winder, United States District Court, District of Utah, 1982
- Associate, Parsons, Behle & Latimer, 1981
Professional and Civic Activity
- Panel Member, Utah Alternative Dispute Resolution Services. 2020
- Member, Mountainland Applied Technology College Board, 2008-2019
- Member, Housing Authority of Provo Board, 2008-present
- Member/Past Chairman, Provo City Planning Commission, 1997-2003
- Member, Provo/Orem Chamber of Commerce Board, 2001-2003
- Chairman, Utah Valley State College Foundation Board, 2001-2003
- Member, Utah County Career Services Council, 1999-2003
- Member, Utah County Planning Commission 1990-1995
- Member, Utah County Board of Adjustments 1990-1996
- Committee Member, Provo City Project 2000 (General Master Plan Revision Committee)
- Advisory Board, Habitat for Humanity Utah County
- Member/Past President, Provo Rotary International
Admitted to Practice -
Utah State Bar
Utah Supreme Court
United States Supreme Court
United States 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
United States District Court, District of Utah