Mr. Rose has over 30 years of litigation experience. His practice is dedicated to Product Liability Litigation, Transportation Litigation, and Tort Defense Litigation. He understands the intricacies and demands of defending manufacturers, retailers, transportation and other large national and local companies in high stakes litigation. He is the former Chair of the Firm’s Litigation Section and past President of the Utah Defense Lawyer’s Association.
Products Liability Litigation
Mr. Rose is widely recognized as the premier product liability defense litigator in Utah. He has twice been named as “Lawyer of the Year” in Utah Product Liability Litigation by The Best Lawyers in America® (2016 & 2018 editions). Mr. Rose has extensive experience as lead counsel for numerous worldwide and national pharmaceutical and medical device companies, recreational product manufacturers, elevator and escalator companies, and many other product manufacturers.
Mr. Rose co-authors the Product Liability Desk Reference, Utah Chapter, as well as the ABA Product Liability 50 State Survey, Utah Chapter, for both Punitive Damages and Plaintiff’s Medical Care and Treatment – Discovery and Evidentiary Issues.
Mr. Rose is a member of the Trucking Industry Defense Association and Transportation Lawyers Association and has been lead counsel for several of the nation’s largest trucking and bus companies in trucking and bus accident cases. These cases are high profile and usually involve fatalities and/or catastrophic injuries, often of multiple plaintiffs.
Tort and Insurance Defense Litigation
Mr. Rose defends wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases on behalf of several large corporate clients and insurance companies. His long time clients include local public utilities, mining companies, gas companies, construction companies, and others. He successfully handled the largest wrongful death/personal injury case in Utah history (9 deaths and 6 catastrophic injuries) on behalf of the owner of a Utah mine. He also has extensive experience representing insurance clients in coverage and bad faith cases.
Mr. Rose co-authors the Tort Law Desk Reference, Utah Chapter. He has authored publications and made presentations to other lawyers on brain injury cases and coverage and bad faith law.
Experienced Mediator – Torts, Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Claims
Mr. Rose is a member of the Utah Alternative Dispute Resolution Panel. He primarily mediates injury and death cases as well as the insurance coverage and bad faith claims arising out those tort cases. As a Mediator, he brings the unique perspective of over 30 years of experience as legal counsel in numerous injury and death cases. Mr. Rose has mediated hundreds of tort cases as counsel for both plaintiffs and defendants and as a mediator. He has a no-nonsense and creative approach to mediations and views his role as much more than a courier of offers and demands.
Mr. Rose has been recognized as one of the leading lawyers for litigation in Utah by:
- Since 2009 he has been consistently ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in General Commercial Litigation in Utah (Band 4, 2020 edition)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, and Product Liability Litigation (2008-2021 editions)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, “Lawyer of the Year” in Product Liability Litigation-Defendants (2016, 2018 editions)
- Utah Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite” in the categories of Insurance, Civil Litigation and Personal Injury (as published in Utah Business Magazine) (2005-2016, 2018-2020 editions)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers in the category of Personal Injury Defense: Products & General (2009-2020 editions)
He also maintains an AV Preeminent (5.0) rating with Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating awarded to attorneys for professional competence and ethics.
J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., 1987
- Member, BYU LAW REVIEW
- cum laude
Whitman College, B.A., Economics, 1984
- Dean’s List
Affiliations / Memberships
- Master, Aldon J. Anderson American Inn of Court
- Utah Bar Association
- Idaho Bar Association
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Past President, Utah Defense Lawyers Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Council on Litigation Management, Utah State Chair (2010-2011)
Publications / Presentations
- Presentation, A View from the Other Side of the Bench, The Utah Association for Justice - 2019 Auto Spectacular, “Winning Strategies for Your Auto Cases,” Salt Lake City, Utah
- Presentation, Fifty Shades of Grey Matter, 2016 Brain Injury Conference, “Defending the Brain Injury Case,” Salt Lake City, Utah
- Presentation, The 23rd Annual Medical Device Seminar, Panel on Defending Life Science Drug and Devices: RX for Success, Isle of Palms, South Carolina
- Presentation, The 2010 Brain Injury Conference, Defense Panel on What Plaintiffs Do To Make Us Crazy. . . . Almost, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Presentation, The 2007 Brain Injury Conference, Defense Panel on Preparation and Trial of Brain Injury Cases, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Presentation, Insurance Law Update, Lorman Education Services, Salt Lake City, Utah, May, 1994, 1995 and 1996
- Author, Bad Faith Claims, 1994
- Co-author, Liability Insurance Coverage Issues, 1994
- Co-author of Commentary, Jury Instructions for Civil and Criminal RICO Cases with Commentary, Brigham Young Law Review
- Co-author, Product Liability Desk Reference, Utah Chapter, Aspen Publishers
- Co-author, Tort Law Desk Reference, Utah Chapter, Aspen Publishers
Admitted to Practice -
United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Idaho
United States District Court, District of Utah
Idaho Supreme Court
Utah Supreme Court