Mr. Hardman’s practice emphasizes domestic and international patent procurement primarily in the electrical and computer-related arts. Mr. Hardman has over 15 years of experience with wireless communications technologies, including handoff procedures, antenna configurations in multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO) systems, unicast and multicast techniques, and standards-related communication protocols. Mr. Hardman also has significant experience with cloud computing technology, including mobile edge computing and network function virtualization (NFV). Other areas of experience include digital signal processing, computer networking, and barcode reading.
In his many years of experience, Mr. Hardman has drafted over 400 utility patent applications and responded to over 1,200 Office actions, including hundreds of Office actions for foreign patent applications. Mr. Hardman uses strategic examiner interviews to expedite prosecution, and he has considerable experience appealing to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
A substantial portion of Mr. Hardman’s practice is dedicated to counseling clients regarding patent strategy. Mr. Hardman frequently assists clients to analyze competitors’ patents and design around such patents, and he has considerable experience with the drafting of opinions regarding patent validity, infringement, and unenforceability. Mr. Hardman has also prepared claim charts that map claims of pending applications or issued patents to relevant industry standards.
University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D., May 2001
- Annual Review Advisor, Berkeley Technology Law Journal
- Awarded the Law & Technology Certificate
University of Utah, Honors B.S., cum laude, Electrical Engineering, May 1998
Prior Professional Experience
- Austin Rapp & Hardman, Shareholder, October 2008 - May 2017
- Madson & Austin, Shareholder, January 2006 - October 2008
- Madson & Metcalf, Associate, August 2001 - December 2005
Publications / Presentations
- The America Invents Act, Brigham Young University Seminar, April 18, 2013
- Inequitable Conduct After McKesson: Has The 'Plague' Returned? Dunes CLE, Current Issues in Patent Law, October 12, 2007
- What Every Attorney Should Know About Intellectual Property, Utah State Bar Business Law Section Luncheon, June 20, 2007 (Co-Presenter)
- Appealing to the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences, Dunes CLE, Patent Drafting & Prosecution: New Developments and Practical Tips, April 7, 2006
- Casenote, Signtech USA Ltd. v. Vutek Inc., 15 BERKELEY TECH. L.J. 147 (2000)
Admitted to Practice -
Utah State Bar, 2001
United States Patent & Trademark Office, 2001